Urgently in need of a sweet treat? Microwave chocolate mug cake is the simplest of recipes and will be ready in 3 minutes flat.
I’m a big believer in comfort food. Don’t get me wrong, we shouldn’t be eating ourselves silly when the going gets tough, but sometimes an indulgent treat can make the world of difference. In an effort to be more healthy, I try not to keep too much unhealthy food in the house but Chocolate Mug Cake can be whipped up from ingredients easily found in the cupboard.
The best thing? Even a culinary disaster zone can get this hyggeligt recipe right!
- 4 x table spoons self raising flour
- 4 x table spoons caster sugar
- 2 x table spoons cocoa powder (instant hot chocolate will do!)
- 1 egg
- 3 x table spoons milk
- 3 x table spoons vegetable/sunflower oil
- Optional – chocolate chips/Smarties/M&Ms
- Mix the three dry ingredients together in a large mug (you don’t want it going over the edge while microwaving).
- Add in the egg and mix thoroughly. Try not to leave any dry ingredients, but don’t worry too much if you do.
- Add the milk & oil and mix the ingredients until smooth. If you’re adding in extra goodies, whack them in now.
- Pop the mug in the microwave for 1.5-2 minutes, or until the cake is risen and firm. Don’t leave it in for too long, or you’ll end up with very dry cake! Sprinkle some icing sugar on if you feel like looking fancy, devour if not.
The benefit of making your own treats is knowing exactly how much sugar you’re eating. Chocolate mug cake is easily my go to when I need a chocolate fix, but even I can’t kid myself it’s not unhealthy! Microwave cakes are also a great way to experiment for the baking novice, why not pick up a recipe book to get yourself started?